Saturday, August 23, 2008

exams,anyone??

"Maybe this is a strategy I should adopt. When my mom asks me how my thesis is going, I could answer, 'I'm learning a lot,' without extrapolating. I'm learning a lot about what it means to be addicted to television. I'm learning a lot about what it means to run your credit cards up to unmanageable levels. There is an interesting dust bunny behind the door in the bathroom. I am learning that these things don't go away by themselves, that dust bunnies need some encouragement. There is a pile of paper around my desk that almost goes up to my knees. It's like wading through a swamp to get to my computer; I lift my legs high, step over things, try not to get stuck in the muck. I am learning about the nature of stasis, how piles do not change until tripped over or physically shoved aside. I am learning the laws of physics through practical experiments. How a body that is not in motion seems to have trouble leaving her apartment. I am learning a lot."
-Shannon Olson, Welcome To My Planet...Where English Is Sometimes Spoken

2 comments:

Broke Saudi said...

I never understood the point behind exams. A semester's worth of cramming in a couple of hours doesn't really achieve the desired effect.

Fury said...

sadly I am one of those people who waste all their prep time and then pull all nighters before exams.Its my way of rebelling against the system.just kidding